COVID-19 is the perfect example of a novel virus with the ability to rapidly cause a pandemic. In the case of a highly infectious novel virus, the swift development of a vaccine is not enough. An effective vaccine needs to deliver mucosal and systemic immunity combined with how quickly an entire population can be vaccinated.
Using OraPro technology, iosbio OraPro-COVID-19 can be developed within a matter of weeks. The viral vector can be developed within days and a capsule ready for animal testing can be ready within weeks. These stages are now complete, with clinical trials due to begin, pending securing funding. Because OraPro-COVID-19 is delivered in thermally stable capsules, it can be self-administered by patients without the need for needles and healthcare professionals. The delivery mechanism eliminates the risk of potentially infected people queuing for injections, removes the need for cold-chain delivery and enables the world’s most rapid deployment of vaccines.
Journey to date
- 2005: First Investor
- 2009: Angel/HNW Investment round £3.3m
- 2010: DTRA: anthrax vaccine $3.4m
- 2013: Innovate UK: VZV thermostability
- 2015: Development of internal pipeline
- 2015: GSK: Collaboration, Option and Licence Agreement
- 2015: Zoetis, animal health collaboration
- 2016: SBRI: award for Oral Zika vaccine
- 2018: SBRI: £2m award Oral Zika vaccine
- 2018: Oncolys BioPharma, Inc.: License Agreement
- 2019: OraPro-Zika cGMP campaign
- 2020: Working on OraPro-COVID-19, emergency response